The City Portal Liverpool - The Beatles
Everton Football Club
Everton Football Club
Home page of City Portal Liverpool Attraction in Liverpool Events in Liverpool A Brief History of Liverpool The Birthplace of the Beatles - Liverpool A gallery of Liverpool photographs
History of Liverpool
Sporting Index Page
Liverpool Football Club
Books on Liverpool Football Club
Official Everton FC website




This page contains text from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia.
Click Here to see original article.

Articles identified as from Wikipedia are identified as articles licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License, which means that it can be be copied and modified as long as the entire work ( including additions ) remains under this license.
See Copyright conditions.

Everton Footbal Club    
Nick Name:   The Toffees
Year Club Formed:   1878
Ground:   Goodison Park
Ground Capacity:   40,200
Address:   Goodison Park, Liverpool. L4 4EL
Telephone:   0151-330-2200
Ticket Sales Telephone:   0891 121 599
Home Colours:   Royal blue shirts with white trim, white shorts and blue socks.
Away Colours:   White shirts, white shorts with blue trim and black socks

Short History:

The club's roots lie in an English Methodist congregation called New Connexion, which decided to build a new chapel in the Liverpool area in 1868. The following year, the church bought some land on Breckfield Road North, between St. Domingo Vale and St. Domingo Grove. This was located near the district of Everton, which had become part of the City of Liverpool in 1835.

St. Domingo Methodist Church's new chapel was opened in 1871 and six years later, Rev B.S. Chambers was appointed Minister. He was responsible for starting a cricket team for the youngsters in the parish. Because cricket can only be played in the summer, they had to find something to play during the other seasons as well. So a football club called St. Domingo F.C. was formed in 1878. A lot of people outside the parish were interested in joining the football club so it was decided that the name should be changed. In November 1879 at a meeting in the Queen's Head Hotel, the team name was changed to Everton Football Club, after the surrounding district.

Everton originally played in the southeast corner of Stanley Park with the first official match taking place in 1879. In 1882, a man named J. Cruitt donated land at Priory Road which became the club's home for a couple of years before moving onto Anfield in 1884 which was Everton's home until 1892 when a rent dispute led to Everton leaving the ground and to the formation of a new, rival team. The new club, which was named Liverpool F.C., set up at Anfield and Everton moved onto Goodison Park where they remain to this day. Ever since those events a fierce rivalry has existed between Everton and Liverpool, albeit one that is generally perceived as being more respectful than many other "derbies" in English football.

Goodison Park has staged more top flight football games than any other ground in the country and became the only English club ground to host a 1966 World Cup semi-final. It was also the first English ground to have undersoil heating, two tiers on all sides and a three tier stand. Goodison is the only ground in the world that features a church in its grounds- St Luke the Evangelist at the corner of the Main Stand and the Gwladys Street End.

Home Page  ::   Attractions   :: Events  :: History  ::  The Beatles  ::  Gallery ::  Maps  ::  Advertise  ::  Contacts
Copyright 2021 © City Portal. All rights reserved.